Tag: Landscape Photos

Cape Palliser Lighthouse (Mātakitaki-a-Kupe)

Cape Palliser Lighthouse is owned and operated by Maritime New Zealand. It was built in 1897 and was originally fueled by oil. In 1954 the oil lamp was replaced with an electric lamp, powered a local diesel generator. Subsequently it was connected up to the mains grid in 1967, although a diesel generator is still on site, in case of emergencies. In 1986 the light was fully automated, now managed from a control room in Wellington.

Website Built with WordPress.com.